Devotional I wrote for our JANES Granola Devotional:
Just a few minutes alone please?
I just want a few minutes alone. I got up half an hour early to read my bible and pray and here she is at my side, putting her feet all over me while I try and start my day with God. How am I suppose to have a meaningful conversation with the creator of the universe while a 3yr old is staring at me with her feet on top of the bible in my lap?
I mention this to my Dad one early morning while we drink coffee. When I visit back home I always get up extra early to be with my Dad alone, before he goes to work. “ Oh yes, I remember those days.” He says, as he puts down his bible. “Except you started that when you were two. As soon as you heard me stirring the coffee you were by my side.” He says this with a smile.
“Oh.” I say, slightly dumbfounded at what I’m saying and doing to him at that exact moment and at the age of 28. Funny thing is I always had an inherent feeling every day began with bible and coffee.
Clearly there was a lesson to be learned here. I think from now on, I will try and treasure those early mornings times, expressing to my daughter the same love and patience I had been given and was still being given by my father. My prayer is that she will not know how to drink coffee in the mornings without the bible either.
Scripture: Deuteronomy 11:18-19
“ Fix these words of mine to your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. “
Prayer:
“ Lord help me to see the big picture in the middle of my daily tasks. Help me guide my children with your words and teach your words to them, diligently.
2 comments:
you are a good writer, girl! so poignant.
you are awesome. and right on. i need to remind myself of this every day - it's hard sometimes but these kids aren't going to "need" us like this forever so we need to relish it while we can.
Post a Comment